[*] Shaw does not have QOS

Sean Walberg sean at ertw.com
Tue Dec 13 22:47:29 CST 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 18:41 -0600, John Lange wrote:
> ---
> Vonage Canada has attempted to obtain meaningful information regarding
> this QofS Service from Shaw's customer service representatives, without
> success.

I once tried to find out how Shaw classifies the packets as VoIP.  After
getting bounced around from queue to queue, and eventually being
promised a call back from a senior guy that never came, I gave up.

I think there's a good reason Shaw does their own voice service using a
separate cable modem channel.  Voice needs priority queuing at every hop
in the network in order to be effective.  Simply reserving bandwidth
doesn't do it.

All that said, a guy at work claims a noticeable difference on his
Primus service after adding Shaw QoS (TM).

Sean