[*] CRTC - Forbearance from the regulation of retail localexchange services

Bill Reid billreid at shaw.ca
Fri Apr 7 15:14:44 CDT 2006

LES.NET (1996) INC. wrote:
> Yes indeed.  25% is a lot.  I think MTS still has 98-99% of business.
>
> However, they will easily lose 25% of residential in the next 2-3 years.

A comment from an CLEC was that they felt it should be 30%. Given the dominant
position of ILECs 25% seems a lot and with everything that is happening I think
when it is reached the decline will probably be unstoppable.

The 25% loss must occur in relevant markets. For example cell phones are not
considered to be in the same relevant market as landline phones. On the other hand:

"The Commission considers that access-independent VoIP services are in the same
relevant market as circuit-switched local exchange services."

I also like the other forbearance condition which is that the CLEC has to
demonstrate that they are co-operating with co-location, etc.

-- Bill