[*] Looking for Manitoba toll-free beta testers.

Bill Reid billreid at shaw.ca
Sun Mar 5 21:19:33 CST 2006

Jim Van Meggelen wrote:
> This is a bit of a gut feeling more than a professional opinion, but the the
> echo is being artificially created (especially considering it has no loss of
> amplitude, as would normally be the case), and perhaps the 'can is deciding
> that it's a lost cause and closing the media path (or interpreting the
> entire returned signal as somehow undesirable). For sure something is making
> that decision, since the call starts with audio, anf then it goes away after
> a while.

Yes, I suspect you are probably right. Since the cell phone is packet not a TDM
circuit the cancellation algorithms are looking for echo with a much longer
delay then on a landline. Googling would suggest that there is a whole new breed
of echo cancellation software and hardware designed for cell phones and IP PBXs.
They talk about catching echo up to 128ms.

-- Bill