[*] install on fc5 questions

Sean Walberg sean at ertw.com
Fri Jan 12 18:25:43 CST 2007

On 1/12/07, Tom Poe <tompoe at fngi.net> wrote:

> When I download a file, the progress bar info shows download speed is
> limited to 26Kb per second.  On a previous FC5 install (same computer,
> same Qwest DSL setup), I was able to install the xten softphone and
> complete 2-way test call connections.  One test call was to a hotel desk
> in the UK.  Is it possible that there is a difference between making a
> VoIP call, and downloading files across the Internet?

Most apps report download speeds in Bytes per second, so that's ~208Kbit/S.
I'd be more worried about your upstream speed.  A quick Google search shows
that the Qwest 256Kbit service is often sold as symmetric so you might be
getting 256Kbit in either way which is more than adequate for VoIP.  That
you were able to conduct a conversation (you didn't mention the codec) lends
credibility to this.

Sean

--
Sean Walberg <sean at ertw.com>    http://ertw.com/