[*] Fallout of Skype purchase from Microsoft

John Lange john at johnlange.ca
Thu May 26 09:29:02 CDT 2011

Personally I've always failed to see the appeal of skype since it's
something that could be replicated using other voip related tools with
the added benefit of being tied to a larger database of potential
users that you could reach.

For example, google voice does exactly the same thing and I'm sure
there is probably a face book app and all kinds of other services that
will be challenging their business especially for mobile devices. If
Microsoft decides Skype is going to be a proprietary tool to boost
Windows in some way, which seems likely given the cancellation of the
Digium contract, it will fail.

All of this is further evidence that Microsoft is beginning to slide
and can't seem to figure out what to do.

And word today that Skype is "down" world-wide.

John

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:00 PM, Dan Keizer <ve4drk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Bill -- sounds like a plausible explanation.
> An interesting twitter post by Ward (aka nerdvittles) indicates that
> Skype-Asterisk integration for free personal use is coming back ...
> Dan.
>
> I just got an email from Digium stating that Skype for Asterisk will not be
> available after July 26. The existing customers will be supported till July,
> 2013.
>
> I assume this is a fallout of the Microsoft purchase, perhaps Microsoft
> wants
> the ability for SIP to Skype gateway to be an exclusive feature for their
> own
> Communicator product.

John Lange
www.johnlange.ca