[*] Fallout of Skype purchase from Microsoft

David Perguidi david.perguidi at genband.com
Thu May 26 09:50:21 CDT 2011

Interesting dialog.

Will also be interesting to understand their MSFT's HD Codec strategy. Skype utilizes their proprietary SILK codec and MSFT LCS/OCS/Lync utilizes proprietary RT Audio which is a dynamic codec based on available bandwidth. LCS/OCS/Lync utilizes a mediation server to convert back to G711 for PSTN calling. Would be nice to see them natively support HD Codec like 722 to federate with other service providers without needing a transcoding solution knocking it down to a narrowband codec.

Cheers,

[cid:image001.png at 01CC1B92.B4DED7A0]