No subject

Mon Jun 4 10:30:09 CDT 2012

network resilience, while maximizing the amount of traffic that stays
within Canada for the benefit of all Canadians."

This is incorrect. The main motivation for setting up an IXP is cost,
network efficiency is only important to the degree that it helps reduce
cost.

The main ISPs already peer, so setting up more IXPs does nothing to reduce
their cost. In fact it increases their cost because they need more
equipment and management etc.

I'm also pretty dubious about some of the other claims. Security? How does
an IXP improve security? And I'd be very surprised if any Canada-to-Canada
inter-ISP routing goes through the U.S so the "within Canada" statement
doesn't seem a likely motivation either.

Don't get me wrong, I not anti IXP, I just don't see a need or a business
case for it.

John

--bcaec54eeec6b6b57704c3a14af1

IMHO, the blog post misses the mark.<br><br>IXPs exist to peer traffic betw=
een ISPs. The reason Canada has so few IXPs, is because it has so very few =
&quot;real&quot; ISPs (and Canada has few ISPs because our telecom policy p=
rotects the existing Canadian duopoly by prohibiting foreign investment).<b=
r>
e internet, your Cable co, or your Telco. Everyone else is just a reseller =
of one of those 2 providers.<br><br>From the post: &quot;Creating more IXPs=
 is about improving security, speed and network=20
resilience, while maximizing the amount of traffic that stays within=20
Canada for the benefit of all Canadians.&quot;<br><br>This is=20
incorrect. The main motivation for setting up an IXP is cost, network=20
efficiency is only important to the degree that it helps reduce cost.<br><b=
r>The main ISPs already peer, so setting up more IXPs does nothing to reduc=
e their cost. In fact it increases their cost because they need more equipm=
ent and management etc.<br>
ow does an IXP improve security? And I&#39;d be very surprised if any Canad=
a-to-Canada inter-ISP routing goes through the U.S so the &quot;within Cana=
da&quot; statement doesn&#39;t seem a likely motivation either.<br>

--bcaec54eeec6b6b57704c3a14af1--