[Muug-announce] MUUG Meeting, May 9, 7:30PM -- Security on your home network

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Wed May 3 17:24:40 CDT 2000

This message is being sent out to all MUUG members (and a few potential
members) who have provided us with an e-mail address.  In the future, we
will be sending these announcements only to people who subscribe to our new
mailing list, <muug-announce at muug.mb.ca>.  This is an opt-in mailing list,
using the GNU Mailman list server, so you will have full control over
whether or not you wish to receive such messages.

However, this means that you have to subscribe to this list yourself if you
wish to continue receiving such announcements in the future.  Do so today,
so you don't forget and miss announcements.  (This new list will continue to
have a very low volume of traffic, so don't worry about getting more mail.)

You can subscribe through the convenient web-based interface:

You can also do so directly via e-mail, as follows:

        echo subscribe | mail muug-announce-request at muug.mb.ca

To get help:

        echo help | mail muug-announce-request at muug.mb.ca

My apologies to those who receive this twice.  To date, we've only had 17
people sign up to the new muug-announce list, so we're giving those few
procrastinators among us another chance to sign up by repeating this message
on the old list too.

Hope to see you all on muug-announce and, of course, at the next meeting!

[Posted to man.unix.general and other news groups]
------ Forwarded Article <8eq8k0$cs3$1 at canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca>
------ From gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca (Gilbert E. Detillieux)

The Manitoba UNIX User Group (MUUG) will be holding its next monthly
meeting on Tuesday, May 9.  The meeting topic for this month is as
follows:

   Security on your home network: first steps

   Michael Doob, of the University of Manitoba's Math department, will be
   joining us again, to talk about home networks. First, this talk will
   address the following questions: what information about internet
   security is already on my computer and how can I get more if
   necessary? Then we'll then look at some precautions and software
   available to check who's doing what. Finally we'll see how to set up
   and configure a firewall.

The group holds its general meetings at 7:30 PM on the second Tuesday of
every month from September to June.  (There are no meetings in July and
August.) Meetings are open to the general public; you don't have to be a
MUUG member to attend.

   New Location: Once again this month, and until further notice, the
   meeting will be at the ISM offices, at 400 Ellice Ave. (between Edmonton
   and Kennedy). When you arrive, you will have to sign in at the reception
   desk, and then wait for someone to take you (in groups) to the meeting
   room.

   Limited parking is available for free on the street, or in a lot
   across Ellice from ISM, for $1.00 for the evening. Indoor parking is
   also available nearby, at Portage Place, for $2.00 for the evening.

For more information about MUUG, and its monthly meetings, check out their
Web server:

		http://www.muug.mb.ca/

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux		E-mail: <gedetil at muug.mb.ca>