[Muug] Sad news...

MUUG meeting announcements muug-announce at muug.mb.ca
Mon Feb 11 11:54:03 CST 2013

It is with great sadness that I report that Doug Shewfelt passed away
Sunday morning of a massive heart attack around 11:00am.  Doug's passing
was very quick and very quiet.

Funeral arrangements are being made by the family.  Details are not yet
known, but the funeral will most likely take place in Manitou, MB, where
Doug grew up, and where his mother still lives.  (This will probably
happen later this week.)  I'll pass further information along when I
have it.

Doug was a fellow student with me, in the University of Manitoba's
Computer Science Honours program, from 1979 to 1983.  He then went on to
work in IT for the City of Winnipeg, where he continued to work until
this last weekend.  He also went back to University, to obtain MSc and
MBA degrees.  He was active in the Manitoba UNIX User Group for over 20
years, and served as treasurer for most of that time.  His "tech"
interests also included amateur radio.

His areas of interest were almost as numerous as his many circles of
friends, who will greatly miss his endless curiosity, love of learning,
generosity, and wonderfully quirky sense of humour.

Farewell, Doug.  Your 51 years on Earth ended far too soon!

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux		E-mail: <gedetil at muug.mb.ca>
Manitoba UNIX User Group	Web:	http://www.muug.mb.ca/