[RndTbl] Linux on MTS ADSL

Gilles Detillieux grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca
Tue Apr 23 10:32:59 CDT 2002

According to Brian Doob:
> 	I just moved to an apartment where I'll be getting MTS ADSL (Shaw High
> Speed is not available).  How do I set up Linux to use it?  I know you
> need to use PPPoE, but I don't know how to do that.  I have heard that
> you need to make other adjustments to take proper advantage of it.  I'm
> getting "Starter DSL" (to start with), but I don't think that makes a
> difference.  I'm currently running both Red Hat 7.2 and Gentoo 1.1a.
> How do I set things up?  Thanks.

I'm currently using a broadband router (SMC Barricade) which does PPPoE
for me, so I don't need anything special on Linux to make it work.
However, before getting the router, I was using Red Hat Linux 6.1 with
Roaring Penguin's PPPoE software, which was available as an RPM package.
(I'm sure a google search would turn it up fairly quickly.)

It was easy to set up and didn't need any kernel patches, which was a real
plus for me, because it runs entirely in user-mode.  Before installing
it, I read some discussions on the sympatico newsgroups about different
PPPoE solutions.  Some people had a low opinion of user-mode PPPoE
implementations because they're less efficient that kernel-mode ones.
I decided to try it anyway, because it was easy, and never noticed any
problems with slowness on my 200 MHz AMD K6 machine, so I never saw the
need to upgrade to a much more complex kernel patch to speed things up.
I suspect that unless I had an even slower machine, or wanted to compile
big packages while downloading other big packages, I'd never notice
the difference.

--
Gilles R. Detillieux              E-mail: <grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca>
Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW:    http://www.scrc.umanitoba.ca/