[RndTbl] Re: [TLUG]: New Printer suggestions request

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Aug 22 13:54:35 CDT 2002

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 02:14:37PM -0700, Mel Seder wrote:
> I run Red Hat 7.3 and Windows 98
>
> I don't do too much text printing but have a digital camera and do
> print pics on Glossy Photo Paper both 8.5 x 11 and 4 x 6 sizes.
>
> I expect to pay between $300 and $400 for a decent printer.
>
> Please share your knowledge or experience with me :-)

Epson C80 is fast, and has very good print quality and using gs-esp or
gimp-print you get very nice printing in linux (and trivial to setup
using cupsys with foomatic).

Nothing else matches the linux support of Epson hardware.  Nothing else
matches the print quality in my opinion, but working and working fully
is a good start.

A C80 runs about $240cdn.  Ink is about $20 for each color (it has
seperate for each color) and $60 for black.  They last quite a while.

If you stick with inkjet paper (not copier paper), it hardly ever needs
the head cleaned.  Photo and glossy paper (especially epson's own) looks
very nice on it.

Lennart Sorensen