[RndTbl] apache web stats

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Thu Jan 10 10:45:33 CST 2002

According to Brock Wolfe:
> I have looked around for Apache log analysis tools and found; Webalizer,
> AWStats, and Perl WebStats.  Anyone have any preferences, experiences with
> these packages or other software.

I've used both analog and webalizer, and am currently using webalizer on the
MUUG server, both for Apache and wu-ftpd xferlog stats...

http://www.muug.mb.ca/usage/

Analog was nice in that it produced a few summaries that webalizer doesn't,
but overall, webalizer was much nicer.  It produces fancier reports,
including graphics (which analog didn't), was much easier to set up and
configure, and has the added benefit of being able to deal with xferlog
files as well, so you can use it for FTP stats.

If you install webalizer, make sure you get a recent version, and not the
older version we're running on the MUUG server.  It had a date-related
overflow bug - not a Y2K bug, but a Y2001-10-04 bug! - which I managed to
find and fix.  Newer versions of webalizer don't seem to have that bug, so
I guess someone else also discovered and fixed the problem.

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux		E-mail:	<gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca>
Dept. of Computer Science	Web:	http://www.cs.umanitoba.ca/~gedetil/