[RndTbl] lost SCSI emulation - burner no work

millward millward at Ms.UManitoba.CA
Sun Jul 7 08:23:45 CDT 2002

I upgraded from Red Hat 7.2 to 7.3 and lost my SCSI emulation,
so now cdrecord -scanbus can't find any SCSI devices and
I can't use my burner.
fstab has not changed from 7.2
/etc/rc.d/rc.local  has
    /sbin/modprobe ide-scsi
   /sbin/modprobe sg
I've looked, and there is no  ide-scsi in sbin
  In /etc/modules.conf  I've got
      append="hdc=ide-scsi"
I've done
    chmod 666 /dev/scd0
    chmod 666 /dev/scd1  ( This is just a home machine so
                                      don't have to worry about security)
The burner is the secondary master in the BIOS so hdc looks OK.
     Does this mean I'll have to do a dreaded "kernel compilation"?
I've installed the 2.4.18-3 kernel source in /usr/src/ just in case,
but I'm not excited about compiling kernels.
   Is there anything else I can do to get back my scsi emulation
without compiling the kernel ?