[RndTbl] SCSI emulation returns... burner works

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Mon Jul 8 16:50:21 CDT 2002

According to millward:
> In  grub.conf  I added   hdc=ide-scsi
> and Red Hat automatically updated fstab during boot.
> cdrecord -scanbus  showed a device at  0,0,0
>   I had prepared a file in   /usr/LTSP using
> mkisofs -r -J -o /usr/LTSP/ltsp.iso  /usr/LTSP
>   ( got this from an English Linux magazine.
>     I can never understand man documents )
> So I tried to burn a CD using
>    cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 speed=4 /usr/LTSP/ltsp.iso
> and it looked good.  I booted into ms windows and
> the CD is readable under DOS too.
>    Thanks for all the advice.
>    I would never have figured this out on my own.
> Strange that in 7.2, grub didn't need the statement
> hdc=ide-scsi, but I quess things change all the time.
>     Thanks again!

Actually, grub itself doesn't need any of that, it simply passes it on to
the Linux kernel.  :)  But the kernel would have needed that all along.

I suspect it was getting it from someplace else before your 7.3 upgrade.
Since you seemed to have an appropriate append statement in /etc/lilo.conf,
I suspect you had been using LILO previously, and just switched to grub in
this latest upgrade.  Since grub is the default selection, it's easy to do
that without even realising it.

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux		E-mail:	<gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca>
Dept. of Computer Science	Web:	http://www.cs.umanitoba.ca/~gedetil/