[RndTbl] Re: [fslc] wondering about

Elijah P Newren newren at math.utah.edu
Fri Jun 21 15:38:58 CDT 2002

> Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 12:30:51 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Mel Seder <melseder at yahoo.com>
> Sender: fslc-bounce at fslc.usu.edu
>

> Does anyone know of a user interface that brings the action to where
> your mouse is sitting.  Instead of taking me off to the side somewhere
> and forcing me to move the mouse cursor to the question,  let the
> question come to where my mouse cursor is.  Don't force us users to
> waltz that mouse across our desks all day long.
>
> That will become a big boost in productivity I think.

Are you simply talking about modifying window manager preferences?  If
so, and you happen to be using Gnome+Sawfish, you can set this by:

  Getting into sawfish window manager preferences:

   On my machine, either the command 'gnomecc', or I can get to it in
   the menus (supplied by RedHat) via:
    Gnome Foot->Programs->Settings->Sawfish Window Manager->Placement

  Then, under "Method of placing dialog windows" (not "Method of
  placing windows"), select "under-pointer" (instead of "best-fit",
  "first-fit", "centered", etc).

However, I think this should work for most window managers that allow
you to customize them.  Just look for a "windows/placement" option,
try to find something referring to dialog windows.  You might also
want to select an option for "Ignore program-specified window
placements", if available.

Elijah