[RndTbl] Re: [TLUG]: wondering about

Henry Spencer henry at spsystems.net
Fri Jun 21 16:43:44 CDT 2002

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Kristofer Coward wrote:
> ...just running fvwm, no applets, pager pages selected by the
> corresponding Ctrl-Shift-keypad# (as far as I'm concerned this should
> be a standard set of hotkeys) focus on mouseover, and each page filled
> with xterms of differing dimensions (or some with xterms dedicated to
> specific purposes)...  I just kept the mouse in
> the centre of the screen so i never had to move the mouse more than a
> couple of mm in order to move focus between windows.

This is pretty close to what I use operationally, but the differences may
be of interest...  Instead of using the keypad, I have Ctrl-, and Ctrl-.
(think of them as Ctrl-< and Ctrl->) defined to move left and right,
respectively, through the pages.  On each page, the windows that I usually
type into -- log windows and such don't count -- are stacked such that
they all overlap one point, near the top and roughly centered.  The mouse
pointer just stays there.  Ctrl-; (one of the home-position keys!) is
defined to mean "push top window to bottom".  Result:  I can do full
window navigation without moving my hands from the touch typist's home
position on the keyboard.  This is a huge win.

(Also, Ctrl-- scrolls an xterm back, Ctrl-= [think Ctrl-+] scrolls it
forward, Ctrl-0 returns it to the bottom.)

Yes, I did a careful search for main-cluster keys that didn't have an
existing Ctrl meaning.  There are others I haven't used yet...  I couldn't
very well use the keypad, since I don't have one.  (I use a BTC-5100
keyboard, less than 30cm wide, which has only the main cluster.  It's
amazing how much difference it makes not to have two square feet of your
desktop eaten up by an enormous keyboard.)

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry at spsystems.net