[RndTbl] hot hard drives

millward millward at Ms.UManitoba.CA
Sat May 18 08:54:04 CDT 2002

When I installed my burner, I was surprised at how
hot my hard drive was. It's been my experience that
modems run hot, but not hard drives. But that was
in those old desktop cases, not these new, improved
ATX tower cases.
I have a 40 gig Samsung SV40844 hooked up, and
beside it was a 15 gig Fujitsu MPF3153AT not hooked
to anything, and it was warm from the Samsung!
This explained why my  3.15" ball bearing fan was
working so hard. The original one had burnt out a few
months back and this replacement was making noises,
until I removed the Fujisu and gave the Samsung some
space for air circulation. Now the fan is quiet.
The case is 16 x 8 inches ATX with 3 external bays and
only two internal bays. I've kept my normal CD rom dirve
separated from the burner with the empty external bay.
So how do I get this thing to run 2 hard drives without overheating
when I only have two internal bays?