[RndTbl] Sendmail or nameserver problems?

Raymond J. Henry rayhenry at nashmet.com
Mon Oct 14 17:41:36 CDT 2002

After setting up chroot jail, I noticed a problem with my mail inbound and
outbound for sub-domains. I have multiple domains on my server, some with
sub-domians. The primary domain mail traffic is not effected by this latest
problem, just the sub-domains.

The system is runing RH 7.1. Users of the sub-domains access their mail via
Squirrel mail.

Here's an example of one of my DNS zone entries:
$TTL 3D
@               IN      SOA     ns1.manitobamall.net.
root.manitobamall.net. (
                                12 ; Serial
                                1H ; Refresh
                                2H ; Retry
                                4W ; Expire
                                1D) ; Minimum TTL
;
                NS      ns1
                MX      10      mail;

;
                A       206.45.64.137
ns1             A       206.45.64.137
www             A       206.45.64.137
mail  A 206.45.64.137
winnipeg A 206.45.64.137
www.winnipeg A 206.45.64.137
me2u.winnipeg A 206.45.64.137
www.me2u.winnipeg A 206.45.64.137
maac  A 206.45.64.137
www.maac A 206.45.64.137
mpa  A 206.45.64.137
www.mpa  A 206.45.64.137

The sub-domains are reflected in /etc/mail/local-host-names.

Attempting to send mail to a sub-domain results in this showing on my server
end:
qfg9ELg9X01184
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 16:33:33 -0500 "Raymond J. Henry" <rayhenry at mts.net>
<rhenry at maac.manitobamall.net>
2 b host map: lookup (maac.manitobamall.net): deferred

So, the mail appears to be be arriving at my server, and then being
"deferred". Attempts to force the queue (/usr/lib/sendmail -v -q) result in:

Running /var/spool/mqueue/g9ELg9X01184 (sequence 1 of 4)
<rhenry at maac.manitobamall.net>... maac.manitobamall.net: Name server timeout
<rhenry at maac.manitobamall.net>... Transient parse error -- message queued
for future delivery

Last time I *know* that mail for the sub-domains was working was last
weekend, so this has just come up since then. No changes have been made to
sendmail or DNS entries. The only changes on the server was to set up the
chroot jail stuff, and I can't see how that would effect this...

What am I missing?????

You can reach me directly at rayhenry at nashmet.com