[RndTbl] startx

Mel Seder melseder at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 12 22:01:18 CDT 2002

The September 2002 Linux Journal (page 26)  showed how to tar -xzvf ...
su make install a new Window Manager (IceWM).  The instructions end
with "create a .xinitrc file containing the line exec icewm,  and then
type startx".

When I type startx I get the following
Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
        If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
        and start again.

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
Please report problems to xfree86 at xfree86.org.

xinit:  unexpected signal 2.

I suspect I have to be in the NON GUI mode.  I'd like to be able to get
to a NON GUI mode so I can start my x server.  I'll just be playing
with the new Window Manager and have opened up a scratch account to do
my playing in.  How do I get startx to fire up the x server?

=====
"The sooner you make five thousand mistakes,  the sooner you will be able to correct them." - Kimon Nicolaides