[RndTbl] Re: [TLUG]: CUPS -- printing to a printer on the LAN

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Sep 26 09:13:27 CDT 2002

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 10:11:29PM -0700, Mel Seder wrote:
> The following was clipped from the CUPS Manual
>
> =======================================
> Automatic Configuration of Print Queues
>
> CUPS supports automatic client configuration of printers on the same
> subnet. To configure printers on the same subnet, do nothing. Each
> client should see the available printers within 30 seconds
> automatically. The printer and class lists are updated automatically as
> printers and servers are added or removed.
> =======================================
>
> My downstairs computer has no printer attached to it.  The only printer
> I have is connected to my upstairs computer.  I'd like to be able to
> print jobs on the upstairs computer when I am logged into the
> downstairs computer.
>
> My question is;
>
> I couldn't/didn't find any examples in the manual that explained what
> has to be done in a "for dummies" fashion.
>
> Do I have to have the CUPS service started and active on the downstairs
> computer so that it can function as a client of the upstairs computer
> where the printer is attached?

Make sure cups has Browsing set to on on each machine and that the
browsing subnet and permitted connections in the cupsd.conf file are set
properly for your subnet.  Many systems ship with a default file that
only allows localhost to use the printer.

After that, you should see the printer in /etc/printcap.cups or just by
doing lpq on either machine.

I have occationally had to manually copy the /etc/cups/ppd dir's
contents to each other machine for them to have the right ppd, but not
always.  I am not sure why this happens sometimes.

Lennart Sorensen