[RndTbl] SOHO Switches

Bill Reid billreid at shaw.ca
Sat Apr 19 12:50:06 CDT 2003

Brock Wolfe wrote:
 > I need to do some network upgrading and started looking at 16 port
 > ethernet switches for a small business network. The D-link, LinkSys,
 > 3COM, Netgear, SMC, Ovislink, brands seem to be mostly available for
 > this market niche.  Any recommends on make/models or features to use
 > or avoid.   Thanks in advance for the advice.
 >
 > Brock

The last couple of switches I bought were Netgear's FS605. Good price
and they have both been working without problem for a few months. A
great feature which is becoming more common is the ability to sense
which pair is receive/transmit so you do not need to worry about
rollover cables, etc. In other words any port can be the uplink port.
SMC also has this feature.

As a side note: I would like to see equipment which requires a power
adaptor to use the kind that only use one space on the power bar. I have
seen one on a Netgear router last year and thought what a great idea.

-- Bill