[RndTbl] SOHO Switches

Raymond J. Henry rayhenry at nashmet.com
Mon Apr 21 10:14:37 CDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gilles Detillieux" <grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca>

> We're using OvisLink SW-800 mini 8-port 10/100 switches on a couple
> spots on our net here in Physiology, and they've been trouble-free so far
> (about 2 months).  They too have the automatic crossover on all ports,
> which is a nice feature.  Based on my experience, I'd expect that their
> 16-port product would be a safe bet too, though I wouldn't have too many
> concerns about any of the brands you mention above.  The power adapter
> is a bit on the large size for the 8-port model (heavier than the switch
> itself) so you'd want to put it at the end of a power bar.

I'm using the Ovislink mini 5-port and mini 8-port as well as the Ovislink
SR-401E and SR-801E routers. I've been happy with the performance of all of
them. However, I did run into one occurrence where all network traffic
stopped while the system was under heavy load. While trying to find the
cause of the problem, I discovered that the mini routers were extremely
warm. I placed a fan blowing towards them, and within seconds, everything
was back to normal. This might be something you want to watch for...