[RndTbl] CD, VCD & DVD Burning

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Wed Dec 3 14:50:23 CST 2003

According to John Lange:
> Its too bad that it still tries to use all those command line tools as
> so many of them are buggy, out-of-date and/or unsupported.

Which ones in particular?  I can't comment on the various trans-coding
utilities, as I've never used them, but cdrecord, cdrdao, and vcdimager
have all worked fine for me, seem to be supported, and continue to
be enhanced.

> It also means you have to chase down dozens of add-on files if you want
> to burn anything.

Yeah, they could have done a better job of listing dependencies, I guess,
so that you could let yum do the job for you.

Of course, even following their instructions on using yum under Fedora
didn't work for me - yum complained about required packages that it couldn't
find (id3lib and libmad).  So, I'm back to doing it the old fashioned way:
manually fetching and installing packages, hand-tweaking spec files and
rebuilding RPM's.

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux		E-mail:	<gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca>
Dept. of Computer Science	Web:	http://www.cs.umanitoba.ca/~gedetil/