[RndTbl] Used Computer books

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Wed Nov 5 21:16:10 CST 2003

> Does Copperfields exist anymore? I drove by their Pembina
> location and I
> was certain I saw a "For Lease" sign in the window. I was
> driving at the
> time and only glanced so I could be mistaken.

They moved.  They are now on the East side of Pembina Hwy, just south of
Bishop Grandin.  They're directly across from the Safeway, in a smallish
building with a (?)chiropractor's office.

> > McNally's is OK for a general book store, and they've been good
about finding and

> I searched their web site and it turned up next to nothing.

If you want anything from McNally Robinson, you pretty much have to go
in person (or phone) and get someone to look up the book.  I've never
had any luck with their website.

> Can anyone offer suggestions on how to get your books shipped without
> having to pay the enormous duties and brokerage charges?

Firstly, buy from amazon.ca, not amazon.com.  Secondly, have it shipped
via Canada Post (or USPS, if coming from the states).  Thirdly, avoid
UPS at all costs.  Brokerage charges are bundled into FedEx rates;
Airborne Express, DHL & Purolator have separate brokerage fees, but
they're reasonable (~$10).  Canada Post has a flat handling rate (~$5)
for all items below a certain value (not sure what the limit is).

-Adam Thompson, MCNE, MCSE
 athompso at athompso.net
 (204) 489-6515 - bus
 (204) 489-4711 - fax