[RndTbl] Software Patents

Mike Pfaiffer mike at digitalcivilization.ca
Tue Sep 23 20:01:16 CDT 2003

On September 23, 2003 07:58 pm, John Lange wrote:
> I'm new to MUUG so I hope this isn't out of line for the mailing list...

	I gather as long as it's *NIX related or club related it's OK.

> As I'm sure most of you are aware, there has been a lot of activity
> recently in the European Union regarding software patents.

	Lots of activity apparently. It sounds as though some countries are
reconsidering their approvals.

> I have heard rumours the US is strong-arming other nations into adopting
> legislation similar to the DMCA so can software patents be far behind?

	Wouldn't doubt it.

> If there was a change to patent legislation in the works to allow
> software patents in Canada, would we be able to get organized enough to
> make our views known to legislators as they have done in the EU?

	I gather there are elections coming up fairly soon. Militant *NIX users ought
to make the news. ;-)

> On the other hand, should we be waiting until legislation is already on
> the table, or is there something pro-active we can do?

	I gather things surrounding the laws in question are in chaos now. I doubt
anything will happen until the next election.

				Later
				Mike

|  Digital Civilization magazine: http://www.digitalcivilization.ca    |
|     Call-A.P.P.L.E. magazine & BBS http://www.callapple.org          |
|   http://members.shaw.ca/pfaiffer = Mike Pfaiffer (B.A., B.Sc.)      |
| See my web page before you think about spamming me. I charge cash.   |