[RndTbl] using yum to get apt-get or apt

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Fri Apr 23 15:19:01 CDT 2004

According to Mel Seder:
> The commands below aren't getting  either apt-get or apt.  How can I get these
> debian favorites for Fedora CORE 1 ?
>

> [root at p4 root]# yum install apt-get
> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Base
> Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Released Updates
> Finding updated packages
> Downloading needed headers
> Cannot find a package matching apt-get
> No actions to take
>
> [root at p4 root]# yum install apt
> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Base
> Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Released Updates
> Finding updated packages
> Downloading needed headers
> Cannot find a package matching apt
> No actions to take

You don't seem to be searching any repositories other than the standard ones
for Fedora Core 1 Base & Released Updates, and neither of these will include
the apt package.  Try adding the following repository to your /etc/yum.conf
(or an alternative config file, if you don't want this in there by default):

[dag]
name=Fedora Core 1 Dag Wieers' repository
baseurl=http://apt.sw.be/redhat/fc$releasever/en/i386/dag

This repository does have an "apt" package available.  (They've also got an
"iftop" RPM package available for the most current version, 0.16, if you're
interested in that one as well.)

There may be other repositories available that also have "apt", but the
above seems to work, and I haven't felt inclined to search further.

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux		E-mail:	<gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca>
Dept. of Computer Science	Web:	http://www.cs.umanitoba.ca/~gedetil/