[RndTbl] RH 9 -> Fedora upgrade through Yum... Success!

Sean A. Walberg sean at ertw.com
Sun Feb 8 20:16:43 CST 2004

Just a short note from Fedora Core 1 on a box that was previously RH 9.
Upgrade steps are simple -- no CDs necessary, no reboots needed other
than to bring up your new kernel.

Install Yum.
Edit /etc/yum.conf to point to a Fedora mirror (use Gilbert's patches,
but change $releasever to 1)
Run "yum upgrade"
Reboot into your new kernel

That's a bit of a stretch.  I had to delete one rpm that was causing a
dependency failure, but it wasn't necessary anyway.  I also had to edit
/boot/grub/grub.conf to default to the new kernel (not sure if that was
the upgrade that defaulted it to the old one).  And, more strangely, my
eth0 didn't work even though it was detected (wouldn't receive packets
even though they were being sent).  eth1 worked fine, though.  I noticed
Fedora has some hardware management stuff that comes up on boot, this
behaviour is classic interrupt stomping.

Enjoy.

Sean
--
Sean A. Walberg <sean at ertw.com>                 http://www.ertw.com