[RndTbl] Linux AIC 7890 RAID 5 ?

John Lange john.lange at bighostbox.com
Thu Feb 26 10:19:01 CST 2004

I have a Dell poweredge 6300 box here with an AIC 7890 SCSI controller.

How do I configure it to treat all the drives hooked up to it as a
single RAID 5 set? In other words, a hardware RAID set. Or is this
controller _just_ a SCSI controller and RAID is the job of a different
card?

If it is the job of a different card, then I believe Linux will do
software RAID correct? If that is the case, do I setup the system with
only a single drive first then convert it to RAID after the install? I
can't seem to see any way to tell cfdisk to treat the drives as anything
but single drives.

I'm mighty confused as to how to accomplish RAID 5 under Linux.

This is Slackware 9.1 btw.

Thanks.

--
John Lange