[RndTbl] up2date and yum updates for CORE 2

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Thu Jun 10 11:47:12 CDT 2004

According to Mike Pfaiffer:
> On June 10, 2004 11:11 am, Gilbert E. Detillieux wrote:
> > According to Mel Seder:
> > > I went to our site http://www.muug.mb.ca/fedora-updates.html and read it
> > > and then downloaded the two patch files.  I read about the patch command
> > > in "Running Linux" published by O'Reilly as well as running and reading
> > > "info patch".
> > >
> > > As I recall,  for CORE 1 I just went in and edited sources (maybe
> > > yum.conf also) by hand because I didn't realize that what the gobbly gook
> > > in the patch file did or that I even needed the patch command.
> <snip>
> > I would do the following:
> >
> > 	cp -p /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources.FC2
> > 	cp -p /etc/yum.conf /etc/yum.conf.FC2
> > 	patch -p0 < rhn-sources-fc2.patch
> > 	patch -p0 < yum.conf-fc2.patch
>
> 	All this effort.

What effort?!?  You can just copy the above commands and paste them into a
terminal window...  (Of course, you'd have to have downloaded the patch
files first.)

> Last time it was just a matter of changing two lines in a
> file. I guess it's similar this time. For those of us who are Luddites, what
> are the lines this time, what files are they in, and what do they look like?

Well, if you want to go through the trouble of (and potential error in)
hand-editing the files, it should all be fairly obvious from reading the
content of the patch files which are included in the web page referred to
above.  RTFWP! :)

Of course, a Liddite would probably shun web browsers, and anything to do
with the Internet and Linux, for that matter!  ;)

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux		E-mail:	<gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca>
Dept. of Computer Science	Web:	http://www.cs.umanitoba.ca/~gedetil/