[RndTbl] k3b addition to yum.comf

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Fri May 14 13:49:22 CDT 2004

According to Mel Seder:
> The k3b site said I should add the following to /etc/yum.conf which I did.
>
> [xcyb-stable]
> name=Fedora Core 1 ( xcyborg / stable )
> baseurl=http://rpms.xcyb.org/fedora/1/stable/
>
> [xcyb-bleeding]
> name=Fedora Core 1 ( xcyborg / bleeding )
> baseurl=http://rpms.xcyb.org/fedora/1/bleeding/
>
> My question concerns the [xcyb-bleeding] section.  Does bleeding mean the same
> as beta or not yet ready for prime time?  If so,  I'd rather just have the
> [xcyb-stable] section in yum.conf.

I'm assuming the "bleeding" in this case refers to the humourous euphemism
"bleeding edge", which would certainly suggest that its not ready for prime
time.

Actually, I wouldn't put either of the above xcyb repositories in the
default yum.conf if you're running automatic yum updates via cron.  I'd put
them in an alternative configuration file, and just specify that manually
when you want to get something from the xcyb repositories.  For example...

	yum -c /etc/yum-xcyb.conf update

Of course, you won't get automatic updates for any packages at those
repositories, but they're not likely to be critical anyway.  For some
sites that provide alternative versions of packages that are part of
the base distribution, it might be safer to not have the "updated"
automatically.

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux		E-mail:	<gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca>
Dept. of Computer Science	Web:	http://www.cs.umanitoba.ca/~gedetil/