[RndTbl] Computer freeze

Michael Doob mdoob at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Fri Nov 5 13:02:38 CST 2004

On Friday 05 November 2004 12:01, roundtable-request at muug.mb.ca wrote:
problem

> The computer is a Dell D600, with an ATI Radeon Mobility 9000.  The OS is SuSE
> 9.1, updated religiously.  Today's installed RPMs include
> kernel-default-2.6.5-7, XFree86-4.3.99, fglrx-3.12.0 (ATI's driver), and KDE
> 3.3.1.
>
> Every now and then (sometimes once a day, sometimes once a month), the desktop
> stops responding.  The cursor follows the mouse, but clicks and keypresses
> are ignored -- even Ctl-Alt-Delete, Ctl-Alt-Backspace, and Ctl-Alt-F1.  This
> usually happens when I'm scrolling BoingBoing.net (a long page) in Konqueror,
> but I'm pretty sure that's not the only program that triggers the bug.
>
> The machine can be pinged, and I can slogin from elsewhere.  When I do, I find
> X consuming at least 99.8% of CPU.  Killing X causes a complete lock-up; it
> won't answer pings, and I have to power-cycle the
> computer.  /var/log/messages contains nothing between the slogin and the
> restart.
>
> I've had the problem with KDE 3.2 and 3.1, with fglrx 3.11 and 3.9, and with
> XFree's default "radeon" driver.
>
> Have you seen behavior like this?  Do you have any suggestions?

I had the identical problem. It turned out that using OepnGL caused the video
card to lock up. Ping would work since it only involved low level kernel calls.

When I disabled the screen saver (or at least the parts that used the OpenGL)
everything was fine.

Cheers,
Michael

Michael Doob                    Telephone: (204) 474-9796
Department of Mathematics       Fax: (204) 474-7606
University of Manitoba          email: Michael_Doob at umanitoba.ca
Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3T 2N2