[RndTbl] Static and DHCP addresses

Bill Reid billreid at shaw.ca
Wed Oct 13 19:24:56 CDT 2004

Mike Pfaiffer wrote:

>  Now things are working the way we hoped the next step is for me to see what
> can possibly be done. Samba is configured and running. Apache is running but
> not tweaked. I want to do some file sharing and backup of an uncooperative
> Windows ME box (small harddrive). Perhaps even set up a game of something on
> the Linux side. I also have some of Macs (two don't have ethernet cards but
> the "fastest" one does). Any suggestions? Easy to understand manuals would
> help too. ;-)

http://www.partimage.org/

partitions in many formats (see below) to an image file. The image file
can be compressed in the GZIP/BZIP2 formats to save disk space, and
split into multiple files to be copied on removable floppies (ZIP for
example), ... Partitions can be saved across the network since version
0.6.0.

Partition Image will only copy data from the used portions of the
partition. For speed and efficiency, free blocks are not written to the
image file. This is unlike the 'dd' command, which also copies empty
blocks. Partition Image also works for large, very full partitions. For
example, a full 1 GB partition can be compressed with gzip down to 400MB.