[RndTbl] Running servers under FC2

Mike Pfaiffer mike at digitalcivilization.ca
Thu Oct 14 16:49:28 CDT 2004

 It turns out I had a free hour this afternoon and decided to see what I can
do about the server box (see previous posts over the last three days). I
thought I'd try and see what "standard" software is running. Interesting
results.

 ssh was running and no configuration was necessary. I was able to run some
GUI apps from the server and have the graphics appear on my own Linux box
(how cool is that...). Of course I tried it on an ME box with PuTTY and  it
complained there was no X client under Windows. OK so I have to download an X
client for ME... Any recommendations? The Mac (system 8.1) comes later this
weekend.

 Then I tried using ftp. The results were interesting to say the least. I was
able to connect. I could enter a user ID but it wouldn't take it without
authentication. It didn't get as far as a password. I fiddled around with it
for a few minutes before I thought about adding a user to the ftp group? My
free time ran out before I was able to give it a try. Am I close to getting
this working? I've been reading the man pages and the /etc/ftpusers file
contains a list of local users forbidden from using ftp, correct? If I can
get this up and running (or a similar file transfer program) it solves a lot
of my needs.

 I've still got to find if there is a Windows version of rsync.

    Later
    Mike

|  Digital Civilization magazine: http://www.digitalcivilization.ca    |
|Call-A.P.P.L.E. and the Digital Civilization http://www.callapple.org |