[RndTbl] Raid 5 benchmarks under 2.6.x

John Lange john.lange at bighostbox.com
Thu Sep 16 11:00:06 CDT 2004

During my presentation at the MUUG meeting I mentioned that I got much
better performance for RAID under the 2.6 kernel.

I just thought some of you might be interested so this is a draft of a
How-To that I was working on. At the very bottom of the document you can
see the graph of benchmarks.

http://www.langefamily.ca/howto/SlackwareRaidHowTo.html

Originally I was trying to see what impact the "chunk-size" parameter
had on performance. To that end, the graph compares 3 different machines
in a few different configurations. Read the notes just about the graph
for a better explanation.

The 3 machines used were interesting in that they compared ATA100 vs.
SATA, vs. SCSI.

--
John Lange