[RndTbl] internet security appliances

Spencer Kuziw sjk at theseedorganization.ca
Tue Feb 8 18:09:26 CST 2005

I'd strongly discourage you from SonicWall. Specifically, I have had +10
of their TZ170 and older SOHO2 & SOHO3 models die on me since this summer.
There are definitely quality issues there. I think their higher end units
are decent, though.

The Firebox from WatchGuard are supposedly pretty decent.

Sean A. Walberg said:
> A PIX 501 is between $774 and $1249 depending on users (low end is 10,
> upper is unlimited, 50 is $1099).  That's list, you should be able to
> easily get 30% off from a reseller.
>
> I haven't worked with the PIX in a while, but I believe all the models
> support the same features, it's just a matter of capacity and interfaces.
> There's only one software image for all the devices.
>
> The nice thing about dealing with Cisco is that their support is amazing.
> I have yet to run into an organization with better support.
>
> Sean
>
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Brock Wolfe wrote:
>
>> I have been looking at a router/firewall upgrade to an "internet
>> security appliance" (ISA) for a small business to expand capavility for
>> remote VPN access, VoIP, NAT/PAT, multi host DMZ, support for desktop
>> videoconferencing configurations, etc. Net
>> search points to Sonicwall, ZyXEL/Zywall and on high end Cisco.. . So
>> far Zywall 70 seems closest fit to functions/features allowing some room
>> for user growth.  Any comments/suggestions on experiences with ISAs?
>> Thanks iun advance for any
>> comments.
>>
>> Brock
>>

>> Brock Wolfe
>> Expect problems and eat them for breakfast.
>> -- Alfred A. Montapert (American Author)
>>

> --
> Sean A. Walberg <sean at ertw.com>                    http://www.ertw.com

The Seed Organization