[RndTbl] How does umask really work?

John Lange john.lange at open-it.ca
Thu Feb 10 09:26:22 CST 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 09:16, Gilles Detillieux wrote:
>   When you create executable text files, i.e. scripts (shell,
> awk, perl, etc.), then you can easily add execute permission with chmod
> +x, but you'd only do that if you really want them to be run as
> commands.  Why would you want execute permission on by default for all
> regular files?

Good point. I don't think you normally would. I just think it should be
possible especially since all the tools are already there.

If the default for created files was 777, then a umask of 133 would
still create files with 644 which is exactly what is being done today
with the added benefit of being able to set your umask to 022 and having
files created with 755 should you have a need for that.

This just makes more sense to me than the sort of half implementation of
user controlled default modes which is bash/umask today.

--
John Lange