[RndTbl] dual video cards for Linux

Shawn Wallbridge shawn at synack-hosting.com
Tue Feb 22 14:57:52 CST 2005

I would expect them to be much slower, but I can't really say since I
don't run them. I had heard that the 8500 drivers were pretty good, but
I haven't heard anything regarding the nVidia open source driver. I
can't see how the open source driver (nv) could be anywhere near as
good as the binary (nvidia) since they don't have the access to
documentation that nVidia does.

I know nVidia is a really big supporter of Linux and does development
internally using Linux (their Gelato 3D renderer was released for Linux
first (at least the Beta was) and Windows later).

The reason they can't release an open source driver is because of 3rd
party intellectual property (or code) that is in the driver. At least
that is my guess.

shawn