[RndTbl] Installing Debian Sarge (Testing)

Kevin McGregor kmcgregor at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 14 22:43:09 CST 2005

I was trying to do a fresh install of Debian Sarge today on a HP
NetServer LH3 (dual Pentium II 450 MHz). The install started okay,
except that it seemed to be unable to correctly identify the network
card. It appeared to load the "e100" driver, but I think the "eepro100"
is the correct one. At any rate, it was unable to get a lease from our
DHCP server no matter what I did. No network connectivity.

Here's the catch: Debian Sarge lets you install a 2.4 or 2.6 kernel.
When I go with the 2.4 kernel, it works! When I start the install with
"linux26" to select the 2.6 kernel, I get the above behaviour.

Is there any way to get the Debian 2.6 install to detect my NIC
properly? Or should I just give up and stick with 2.4?

Kevin

--
Kevin McGregor
9-1120 Dorchester Ave.