[RndTbl] WRT54G Wireless Router firmware

Bill Reid billreid at shaw.ca
Wed May 11 14:26:18 CDT 2005

Shawn Wallbridge wrote:

> On 11-May-05, at 9:18 AM, Bill Reid wrote:
>
>> Here is a company that is trying to make money at producing
>> the firmware:
>>
>> http://www.sveasoft.com/
>

> And they are breaking the GPL by refusing to release the source and

The source for the released version is available:
http://www.wrt54g.com/

> They have also implemented a mechanism that locks a specific download of
> the firmware to a specific router (by MAC and serial number).

I have not seen this. I run the same binary on two routers.

> Here is a slashdot article (I can't find the other site I read about a
> bunch of this stuff)...
>
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/07/21/2255239

A comment from the Slashdot article: "The  thread summary at DSLReports only
makes it clear that this is all very complicated." I agree it is not as open as
other projects.

The $20/yr is for support and access to the pre-release version of the software.
The debate is whether they have to release the source for the pre-release. Isn't
this sort of like what sendmail and ghostscript are doing?

I have no problems supporting their effort.

-- Bill