[RndTbl] Xen gotcha

Bill Reid billreid at shaw.ca
Fri May 20 12:20:54 CDT 2005

I was playing with Xen and bumped into an issue which stumped me for a while.

If you use the binary dstribution from the Xen site don't fall into the trap
that I did. I was using the Quick Start guide on RedHat and they suggested the
grub.conf should look like:  (my /boot is hd0,0)

title Xen 2.0 / XenLinux 2.6.10
   root (hd0,0)
   kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=128M

when in fact the xen.gz from the binary distribution does not support using M in
the dom0_mem parameter. It complains that there is not enough space for the
Guest OS.

I should have used:

title Xen 2.0 / XenLinux 2.6.10
   root (hd0,0)
   kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=131072 noreboot

The noreboot is a good parameter to use for testing since without it the xen
microkernel reboots after 10 seconds which is a pain when you are trying to read
the error messages. :-(

-- Bill