[RndTbl] Burning a DVD

Mike Pfaiffer mpfaiffer at callapple.org
Tue Nov 8 23:34:39 CST 2005

 Tonight at the meeting I was asked to post what I did to get a video DVD
burned. I'm more than happy to do so. I'm tickled pink I got it to work so
it's a pleasure.

 This is the simplest case where a single video file plays automatically on a
console unit. There are separate steps one needs to go through to burn a
video DVD. First is to get the video file into an appropriate format. Next is
to take the resulting file and place it properly into a directory structure
expected by the player. The final part is from the URL Montana Quiring posted
earlier. Namely burning the directories to the DVD. This is where I was
having trouble before.

 The tools needed are mplayer (specifically mencoder), videotrans (has a bunch
of dependencies including mencoder), dvdauthor (also has some dependencies),
and growisofs. I understand transcode can substitute for mencoder and
videotrans. Here is what I did from the commandline to get it to work.

============

# part of videotrans - Translate to vob file
movie-to-dvd -m ntsc -M 'sample01.avi'

# part of dvdauthor - Create the file structure
dvdauthor -o DVD 'sample01.vob'
dvdauthor -T -o DVD

# part of growisofs - Put the directory structure on a DVD
growisofs -Z /dev/hdb -dvd-video DVD

===================
NOTES:
-DVD is an empty directory where the directory structure is created.
-/dev/hdb is my burner (found from the KDE hardware browser).
-I did not have to be root to do this.

 There are other things I could do such as lowering the quality or size.
Eventually I could create menus. The man pages say subtitles aren't supported
yet. I would presume multiple language streams aren't either.

 I'm not sure if I missed the "-Z" parameter or I used something like
"/mnt/cdrom" (in hindsight, this would have been really dumb) last month.
Whatever it was, this last line solved my problem.

    Later
    Mike

P.S. Good meeting. I understood the principals of what he was talking about
even if I missed the specific references.

|Call-A.P.P.L.E. and the Digital Civilization http://www.callapple.org |
|   http://members.shaw.ca/pfaiffer = Mike Pfaiffer (B.A., B.Sc.)      |