[RndTbl] optical RAM ?

Daryl F daryl at rainyday.ca
Wed Nov 16 22:08:25 CST 2005

schwartz wrote:
> I'd like the member's opinion on the credibility of
> Atom Chip Corp.'s claim to have developed optical
> RAM that employs holographic storage techniques.
> http://www.atomchip.com
> I had read years ago that IBM was looking into
> holographic methods for data storage, but a friend of
> mine pointed out that you'd need really deep-pockets
> to develop this kind of technology and he doubted a
> small outfit like Atom Chip could do it.
>    Linux's problem with SATA drivers made me think of this,
> because Atom Chip claims their notebook operates without
> a hard drive but with lots of optical RAM,
> and can run Linux or XP.
>     Does anyone know anything about Atom Chips's
> corporate status and the validity of their claims?

I'd wait until some independent bodies actually verify their claims. The
patents they mention for the Gendlin Effect do exists but it is a long
way from a patent to cost-effect production of devices that work.

Googling and chasing the trail of Shimon Gendlin references indicates
there are some questions to the ownership of the technology that *might*
exist but I can't find a single person other than someone associated
with Shimon Gendlin himself that can verify those chips aren't just a
hoax or an multi-level marketing scheme.

There is a cute video about their solar chips:
http://www.compu-technics.com/images/solar%20memory.WMV

I just find it difficult to believe that any company that has the
know-how for clean-room production of that kind of technology can't take
better stills or is so ignorant of video production.

Regards, Daryl