[RndTbl] failure of OS loaders

Dan Martin ummar143 at cc.umanitoba.ca
Sun Oct 9 18:04:49 CDT 2005

Problem: after copying a partition, the OS in it cannot be booted.
# dd if=/dev/hdc3 of=/dev/hda3 bs=1M

I did not have this particular problem copying Linux (I had other
problems).  But after copying a partition with Windows 2K and attempting
to boot to it, getting to the partition by Grub, I get the messages:

Invalid BOOT.INI file
Booting from C:\winnt\
NTDETECT failed

The partitions copied to and from are the same size, but slightly
different positions on the drive.  I am guessing that the stage one
loader is present, but has the location of files for the next stage hard
coded (and wrong because of the offset position of the file).

Yeah, I know - get rid of Windows and I won't have to worry about such
things.  Any other suggestions?

--
  -Dan

Dr. Dan Martin, MD, CCFP, BSc, BCSc (Hon)

GP Hospital Practitioner
Computer Science grad student
ummar143 at cc.umanitoba.ca
(204) 831-1746