[RndTbl] Adding second NIC - RH 7.1

Raymond J. Henry rayhenry at nashmet.com
Mon Oct 10 00:46:13 CDT 2005

>From time to time, I have to UL a lot of stuff to my server (tonight,
12GB). Because of this, I'm wondering about dropping 1000MB NIC's into
my XP system and the server, and running a separate dedicated connection
between them. I don't want to spend the money to replace my switch,
that's why I'm thinking separate network.

I'm running RH 7.1 w/kernel 2.4.20-24.7. If I go ahead with this, I'm
thinking the D-Link DGE-530T
(http://www.dlink.com/products/resource.asp?pid=284&rid=879&sec=0)
because of the price, and D-Link's indication it should work with my
kernel.

Anyone run one of these cards in a system similar to mine? Of course,
I'd like this to be a painless as possible, so the other issue would be
trying to have the existing NIC remain as eth0, so I don't have to mess
with anything there.

Any suggestions/ideas/flames?