[RndTbl] burning DVD on OS/X Panther

millward millward at ms.umanitoba.ca
Tue Oct 18 14:52:15 CDT 2005

First, I'd like to thank Shawn Wallbridge for the .PDF files.
Great stuff.
My question is for OS/X users. I won a Knoppix DVD door prize
but since I don't have a DVD burner, I took it to my friend who
has a PowerPC OS/X Panther system. To my surprise, his
system failed to read the Knoppix DVD, so could not burn a
copy of it. We think OS/X can't deal with the Linux file system,
probably ext3.
 How do you get OS/X to recognize the ext3 file system and
be able to read from it?  Of course my assumption that a
Knoppix DVD uses ext3 might be completely wrong. In that
case, what file system are we dealing with and, again, how
do I get OS/X to read it?
   I'm not too keen on buying a DVD burner myself since next
year Blue-Ray and HD DVD will have arrived and made it
instantly obsolete. I once had a programming instructor who
refused to purchase his own computer for this very reason.
I used to think he was nuts. Now I'm not so sure.