[RndTbl] burning DVD on OS/X Panther

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Tue Oct 18 20:24:33 CDT 2005

millward wrote:

>My question is for OS/X users. I won a Knoppix DVD door prize
>but since I don't have a DVD burner, I took it to my friend who
>has a PowerPC OS/X Panther system. To my surprise, his
>system failed to read the Knoppix DVD, so could not burn a
>copy of it. We think OS/X can't deal with the Linux file system,
>probably ext3.

While you are correct in assuming that OS X can't read ext3 filesystems
(although I've seen a driver recently that purports to allow that), the
problem you are having is much more basic.

DVD filesystems come in two flavors, generally speaking: ISO 9660 (the
standard CD-ROM filesystem) for data-only DVDs, and UDF (Universal Disk
Format, I think) for true DVD disks.  Most bootable DVDs (in fact, most
DVDs other than videos) are actually ISO9660 - a glorified super-sized
CD-ROM, basically.

The Knoppix DVD in particular should follow the ISO9660 format.  I can't
remember how the live filesystem image works on the Knoppix disks - but
the Mac should at least mount the disk and show you _something_.  It may
not show you anything useful - the Knoppix live filesystem is some funny
compressed format, I believe, so I think anything other than Knoppix
itself will only see a handful of large files

If your friend's Mac doesn't even mount the disk and show you _anything_
then the physical media simply isn't compatible with the drive.  Go find
another DVD burner :-)
If it does mount the disk, then it's actually working just fine - and
you can burn a bit-for-bit copy and it should work fine in a PC.

As for buying a DVD burner, I'm of the opinion that you should get
neither Blu-ray nor HD at this point, since at the current price point
DVD burners can be thought of as a consumable - I can buy a
(single-layer) burner for (a LOT) less money than refilling the ink in
my printer!  The IDE combo drives tend to be quite reliable by now, no
matter who's logo is on the outside.  (Much like CD-RW drives, there are
only a handful of companies manufacturing the internal mechanisms.)

-Adam