[RndTbl] drive partitioning for Linux install

John Lange john.lange at open-it.ca
Sat Sep 24 17:09:55 CDT 2005

> > 4)  MIGRATING TO OTHER HARDWARE - Another bonus would be if I could take
> > my hard drive with Fedora installed, and pop it into my Pentium 4
> > (usually running Windows) to run an app that needs more juice.  I could
>
> Hard to do because of the mkinitrd boot image which will contain IDE
> drivers to boot on your P3 but not your P4.  You could probably fudge it
> to boot on both but this would be VERY advanced.  Plus, kudzu would go
> mental each time the hardware changed.  Again, not worth the hassle.

I agree its not worth the hassle to do it just for the heck of it
because of the "advancement" of using ram disks for init. However, this
can be done trivially with some Linux distributions if its a
requirement.

For example, Slackware doesn't use any ram disks by default meaning just
you can do a normal file copy from one disk to another, setup the master
boot record on the new drive and put it in the new system and thats it.
Keeping in mind you have to configure it to load required modules which
you have to do with Slackware anyhow since Slackware doesn't do much
hardware detection.

As long as you haven't built a custom kernel you could move the drive
between most machines with ease.

--
John Lange
OpenIT ltd. www.Open-IT.ca (204) 885 0872