[RndTbl] Need a CPU upgrade

Kevin McGregor kmcgregor at shaw.ca
Tue Sep 27 21:26:42 CDT 2005

This is not a Unix-related question (yet), but I was wondering if anyone
on this list knew of a vendor who can get 1 GHz Pentium 3 (Slot 1) CPUs
for a Compaq ProLiant DL380 3U rack-mount server. We have this server at
work with a single 733 MHz P3, and it's dual-capable. Our "Preferred"
vendor is Insight Canada, and they want $ 2,641 for a 1 GHz P3. Yep,
more than the cost of a new server or two for a stinkin' 5.5-year-old
CPU which was US$990 at introduction!

And I know they're available for less than $100 on eBay. Apparently
<someone much higher up in the organization> thinks a 97% discount would
look bad if it became public that we bought something via eBay.

So, any suggestions?