[RndTbl] drive partitioning for Linux install

Dan Martin ummar143 at cc.umanitoba.ca
Fri Sep 30 17:50:04 CDT 2005

Adam:

Thanks a bunch!  That's exactly what the problem is.  Soime time ago I
changed my IDE connections, but neglected to change the BIOS.  hda used
LBA addressing, but hdc used AUTO, which defaulted to CHS.  This
explains some of life's mysteries, like why 2 identical drives appear
different.

I will have to look at partitions on my P4, since the BIOS is set to
AUTO for those, and the drives have both DOS and Linux partitions.  I
hope those partition tables are consistent.

I assume the need for LBA settings is relevant only if
1) using DOS, or,
2) using LILO
since Linux does not depend on the BIOS addressing.

Is there ever a good reason to NOT use LBA? [perhaps installing an
ancient drive with stuff on it partitioned under an old scheme?]  In
theory, files could be arranged by cylinder to minimize seek times, but
in fact the CHS geometries are not "real" anyways, so no benefit there.

Thanks again.

--
  -Dan

Dr. Dan Martin, MD, CCFP, BSc, BCSc (Hon)

GP Hospital Practitioner
Computer Science grad student
ummar143 at cc.umanitoba.ca
(204) 831-1746