[RndTbl] Problems with Shaw?

John Lange john.lange at open-it.ca
Fri Aug 25 13:06:05 CDT 2006

Recently I have been experiencing problems with all of our customers who
access our services through Shaw including my own home internet
connection. These problems seem to be wide-spread throughout the city.

While throughput speeds and latency have remained good, jitter has
become a major problem.

What this means is upload/download speeds would appear to be normal but
applications that require real-time packet delivery are effected. At
home I notice major problems with things like VoIP and gaming.

A packet analysis using ethereal indicates major spikes in the "diff"
values and jitter with many packets arriving out of sequence. This only
happens on at the destination end, not at the Shaw-customer end.

This is near impossible to report as a problem because the techs you get
on the phone have never even heard of jitter and any upload/download
test they get you to run will be fine because TCP is built to handle
this.

However, things like First Person Shooter games are now a complete lost
cause.

My question for the group is, is anyone else experiencing this problems?
I'm trying to determine how wide spread this is before attempting to
escalate the issue.

Regards,

John Lange